The Urban Tree Arboretum
The Urban Tree Arboretum is a collection of trees traditionally grown, or with potential to grow, in urban environments.
Aims of the Arboretum
The aims of The Urban Tree Arboretum are:
- To present a selection of trees available as street trees
- To show tree response to pruning required to meet safety and other functional requirements
- To research tree response to pollarding and klipping
- To document tree growth and development
- To provide a comparator for trees planted in urban conditions
- To provide a comparator for growth rates of trees under other conditions
- To develop a reference list of tree plantings.
The Urban Tree Arboretum is the only tree collection where pruning is carried out and the consequences monitored.
Establishment of the Urban Tree Arboretum
The Urban Tree Arboretum was established by The Danish Center for Forest Landscape and Planning and the Danish Nursery Stock Association’s Allè Tree Club. A steering committee representing these partners controls maintenance and development to be carried out by Forest and Landscape.